Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE)
What is an FCE/FAE?
A functional capacity evaluation (FCE) or functional abilities evaluation (FAE), subjectively and objectively determines the client’s functional abilities and limitations based on range of motion, strength, dexterity and other measured performance.
A ‘Functional Capacity Evaluation’ is designed to systematically assess an examinee’s capabilities and limitations via a set of testing protocols that are evidenced-based. The testing protocols of an FCE are designed to comprehensively assess the examinee’s functional abilities and/or limitations. These testing protocols are comprised of a range of recognized functional assessment tools (i.e. Arcon & Matheson) for assessing the physical abilities required to perform work in a specific occupation and/or the examinee’s current functional ability. This comprehensive method of assessing physical abilities, designed to provide a profile of the examinee’s physical work-tolerance in accordance with the National Occupational Classification (NOC) and the Career Handbook, includes the following components:
- Vision & Hearing;
- Gross Mobility Tolerances (Stooping, Kneeling, and Crouching);
- Reaching Abilities (Low Level Reaching, Forward Reaching, and High Level Reaching);
- Agility Tolerances (Balance/Coordination and Stair Climbing);
- Manual Dexterity (Griping, Pinching, and Handling/Fingering);
- Static Strength (Pushing & Pulling);
- Vertical Manual Material Handling (Floor to Knuckle, Knuckle to Shoulder, and Floor to Shoulder,);
- Horizontal Manual Material Handling (Bilateral Carrying, and Pushing/Pulling);
- Cardiovascular Fitness Capabilities (CAFT Stepping Test);
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation Test (Ranges of Motion of the Spine & Joints);
- Postural Tolerances (Sitting, Standing, and Walking);
- Manual Muscle Testing (Performed only if weakness is identified)
- Spinal Function Sort (SFS).
Two day FCE are also available and differs from a one day FCE in that it repeats the physical testing on a second consecutive day. This gives a clearer picture of function, symptom tolerance and is particularly useful in claimants who suffer from delayed onset of pain post physical activity.
Why choose an FCE/FAE?
Functional Capacity Evaluations are used by insurance companies, the government, medical legal community as well as the private sector to determine a claimant’s limitations, abilities, sincerity of effort and ability to return to work and daily life activities.
Pre/Post Offer Employment Testing (POETS)
Complete custom medical screening designed for new employees as well as periodical medicals for current workers. Testing includes, vision, hearing, spirometry range of motion, static/dynamic strength, dexterity, handling, sustained positions, cardiovascular/blood pressure testing, hand grip, pinch grip etc.
Job/Physical Demands Analysis (JDA/PDA)
A custom onsite assessment for the demands of a specific work place and position. This is used as a reference to future functional screens of new employees being testing in a POET or existing employees returning to work from an injury and being screened via and FCE/FAE.
Vancouver's Favourite Physiotherapy Clinic
We are the clinic of choice in Vancouver